First Street, Albany,
The Cumberland Church building has been a part of Albany for 129 years.
The church was built in 1892 by the Cumberland Presbyterians, a progressive branch of the Presbyterian Church.
Below is a clipping from the States Rights Democrat newspaper in 1892, announcing the dedication of the new Cumberland Church.
The Cumberland was built in the Queen Anne architectural style. Highlights of the Queen Anne style include varying wall textures such as shingles and spindle work, squared towers, and dominant front-facing gables.
Over the course of 128 years the Cumberland Church has housed different religious groups.
Timeline of the Cumberland's history.
Each group left its impression on the building from major external structural changes to minor interior cosmetic changes. While in remarkably good structural shape, years of neglect have left the Cumberland in need of restoration.
More Than A Church
Over the years the Cumberland has been more than a church. In addition to religious services, the Cumberland provided community services such as:
Youth computer classes